For children and young people Enviroschools can be a lifelong journey from early childhood, to primary, intermediate, secondary and beyond. For schools and centres we support long-term participation; lasting changes can take many years to become embedded but every step is a change in itself.
Every Enviroschool follows a unique journey that:
- Develops from small beginnings and gathers strength and breadth along the way
- Empowers tamariki and students
- Builds sustainable communities
- Integrates into the curriculum; both Te Whāriki and the New Zealand Curriculum
- Is grounded in Māori Perspectives
- Embraces cultural diversity
- Engages in the physical, social, cultural and political aspects of the environment
- Builds towards being a whole-school/ centre approach.
The Enviroschools programme is implemented regionally, along regional council boundaries and is supported by a network of people working for a different range of organisations. See About Enviroschools for information on our structure, who is involved and our history.